Electrical issues in your home are not to be taken lightly. You might be able to do a temporary patch job to fix your electrical problems for a short time, but they will only get worse the longer you wait to call an electrician to correctly fix the problem. These 5 signs will make it clear that your home has electrical issues and that it is time to call a residential electrician.
- Flickering lights are a pretty big sign that there is something wrong with your wiring. If you’re lucky, the problem is located at the fixture that is flickering. However, there is a chance it could be more complex than that. The problem could be frayed wiring or the wattage you are using is overwhelming your outlet’s capabilities.
- If you are experiencing consistent broken fuses or a tripped breaker, it is time to call a residential electrician. Broken fuses or a tripped breaker are most common in older homes. A lot of older homes are not set up to handle the amount of electrical devices we use nowadays. It is a serious problem, because it can lead to electrical fires in the home.
- Light switches that shock you or feel hot when you touch them are serious problems. This could mean you have bad wiring, which can be a fire hazard. Your switch plates and outlets should never be hot.
- If you find yourself using a bunch of extension cords in one room, you probably should call an electrician to rewire and install more outlets. Using extension cords may be convenient for short-term use, but using them for longer than they are meant to be used can lead to overheating and electrical fires.
- Rust on your breaker panel or any other electrical component in your home is a sign of continued exposure to moisture. It’s a well-known fact that water and electricity do not go well together, so if you see any rust or corrosion present around anything connected to your electrical system, you should call a residential electrician to come check it out.
Being aware of your home’s electrical system now and the problems it may be having can save you and your home from dangerous situations in the future. If you notice any of these signs in your home, give us a call at Lamm Electric, and we will come take care of the problem.